I first wrote this article on my Golf Mind Power website in 2009. I thought it was appropriate to republish here, as someone came up to me recently at my Athletic Mindset seminar.
What do you say when…?“I’m a fairly new golfer and love to hit balls at the range. I’m working with a Pro and like to practice what she teaches me in between lessons. How do I avoid those golfers that approach me and want to “help” me with my swing. I don’t want to be rude, but they only confuse me more.” Don’t you just love when you are offered a free golf tip that you didn’t ask for?! Friends, spouses and even strangers just want to help… even if you didn’t ask. So what do you say when someone wants to “help” you, and you just don’t want their help? Here are a few things you can say to send them on their way.
- “I’m sure your very good, but I’m working with an instructor”
- “Thanks but, my (husband/wife) is a Golf Pro”
- “I’m working on a drill and need to stay focused on that”
Here are some basic Pro Golf Tips everyone can use.
1) Stay CenteredWhy? One of the most common problems with amateurs is moving (swaying) off the ball. With all of the other movements of a golf swing, it’s easy to let your head and body move off center. Because the ball doesn’t move until you hit it, the quieter your body stays over the ball the more solid you’ll strike the ball.
- Keep your eyes fixed on a point on the back of the ball.
- Keep your knees flexed throughout the swing
- Straightened knees lead to swaying
- Staying flexed and athletic allows better centering
2) HOLD Your Grip Don’t CLENCH itWhy? Tension in the hands means tension everywhere else in the body as well as in the swing. Tension in the hands and swing means compromised speed and direction. By holding your grip, you can also attain one of the most important parts of a golf swing, tempo and timing.
- On a scale of 1-10, a smart grip pressure is 5 (It’s not too tight, not too loose it’s just right)
- Maintain the same pressure from start to finish
- Increase your swing speed with the same pressure
- It is possible to swing fast without swinging hard!