A farmer’s storyA farmer was plowing his farm one day when his son started complaining how he was tired of farming and plowing in the field. He felt life is unfair as he constantly struggles financially. His father looked at him for a moment and took him to the kitchen. He started filling three pots with water and placed each on a high flame. Without a word, he let them sit and boil. In the first pot, he placed some carrots. In the second pot, he placed some eggs. Finally, in the last pot, he placed some ground coffee beans. After 20 minutes, he put out the fire, then placed them each in separate bowls. He asked his son, “What do you see?” “Ah, Carrots, eggs and some coffee?”
“Come closer,” he tells his son. “Feel them.”First, the carrots had become soft to the touch. Next they inspected the egg, which they cracked open to reveal a firm, hardened interior. Then he handed him the coffee to sip. “What’s the point?” the son asked. The father explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity, boiling water—but each reacted differently.
- The carrots went in strong, hard and unrelenting. However after being subjected to the boiling water, they softened and became weak.
- The egg had been fragile. Its delicate shell had protected it. But, after sitting in the boiling water, its inside had hardened.
- The ground coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water they had changed the water into something wonderful.
The Lesson… Be the Grateful Coffee Bean!”Difficulties in life come and go. BE like the coffee bean, and when things get boiling hot, know that you can get better and change the situation around you. Only you have the power to elevate yourself to another level. Imagine you are like the coffee bean that provides amazing pleasure to billions of people who drink coffee. Being grateful for what you have right now, it is your starting point. Take a minute to STOP, Reflect and say “Thank You” to the people who mean something to you…
- Thank those who have inspired you in one way or another
- Give Thanks those who make you smile, just because
- Thank those who help you see the brighter side of of life
- Give Thanks those whose friendships are there thru think and thin
Thank to a stranger… well, just because you can!